Search This Blog

Wednesday, July 4, 2012

Savoury Lamb


Savoury Lamb


I was out of red wine this week.  Whenever I do lamb shanks I throw throw them in the slow cooker with a red wine recipe I've been using from a Marie Clare cookbook I was given for my 21st.  So I dug into the old recipe book to find something for Lamb.  The recipe that I found was for a leg of lamb but I didn't let that stop me and it was absolutely delicious.  I'll be making it again soon - and hopefully be able to take a good photo.  (perhaps transfer to a clean and not cooked in casserole dish!)

1.5 kg Leg Lamb ( I used lamb shanks)
30g butter
2 onions
2 cloves garlic
1 1/2 tblsp flour
470 g can whole tomato
1/2 cup water
1 beef stock cube
1 tsp sugar
1 tsp oregano
salt, pepper

Trim off excess fat from lamb.  Place lamb in baking dish.  Heat butter in saucepan, add peeled and chopped onions and crushed garlic, sauté until onions are tender.  Add flour, stir until golden brown.   Remove pan from heat.  Add undrained mashed tomatoes, water, crumbled stock cube, sugar, oregano, salt and pepper.  Stir until combined.  Return pan to heat, stir until sauce boils and thickens.  Pour sauce over lamb.  Bake covered, in moderate oven for 1/1/4 hours.  Uncover, cook further 45 minutes or until lamb is tender.

Notes and things I did differently;
I cooked everything in a casserole dish that does stove top and oven to save an extra dish.  If you are using shanks you need to turn them around a couple of times during cooking and they will probably need some extra time.  I also used crushed tomatoes with herbs added.



No comments:

Post a Comment